Sentinel Spectrum prevents heartworm disease, controls and prevents fleas, controls adult hookworms, and controls and removes adult whipworm and roundworm infections.
See our Flea and Tick chart to determine which tick and flea preventative is suitable for your pet.
What is Sentinel Spectrum?
Sentinel Spectrum sterilizes adult fleas and protects your dogs and puppies against parasites such as heartworm, hookworms, tapeworms and removes and controls adult roundworm and whipworm infections in dogs and puppies. Sentinel Spectrum Tasty Chews are beef-flavored, and studies have shown they are so palatable that 97% of dogs accept them straight from the hand.
Who is Sentinel Spectrum for?
For use in dogs and puppies over four weeks in age and two pounds in weight.
Why use Sentinel Spectrum?
Features of Sentinel Spectrum:
– Controls and prevents infestation of fleas
– Prevents against heartworm disease
– Controls and treats hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms
– Controls and treats tapeworm (unlike Sentinel Flavor Tabs)
How does Sentinel Spectrum work?
One active ingredient of Sentinel Spectrum, milbemycin oxime:
– Is a macrocyclic anthelmintic, thought to work by impeding invertebrate neurotransmission
– Kills heartworm larvae in the tissue stage
– Eliminates hookworm (Ancylostoma caninum) in the adult stage
– Eradicates whipworm (Trichuris vulpis), roundworm (Toxocara canis and Toxascaris leonina), and hookworm (Ancylostoma caninum) infestations, as long as the medication is orally administered following the recommended dosage schedule.
Lufenuron manages fleas by preventing egg development, but it does not kill fleas in the adult stage. For this reason, it may be prudent to administer an adulticide concurrently.
Active ingredient(s): Milbemycin oxime, Lufenuron & Praziquantel
How is Sentinel Spectrum sold?
Sentinel Spectrum is sold based on your dog’s weight in either 6 month (6 chews) or 12 month (12 chews) packs.
– Orange: 2-8 lbs
– Green: 8.1-25 lbs
– Yellow: 25.1-50 lbs
– Blue: 50.1-100 lbs
The following side effects have been known to occur:
– Hypersalivation (drooling)
-Ataxia (impaired coordination)
– Skin congestion
– Urticaria (hives)
– Pruritus (itching)
What special precautions are there?
Safe use in puppies under 11 weeks old or in nursing or pregnant dogs has not been proven.
A short-term shock-like reaction may occur if an adult heartworm-infected animal (therefore experiencing circulating microfilariae) is dosed with Sentinel Spectrum. To prevent this from occurring, an adult heartworm test should be performed before starting this medication. If the dog is found to have adult heartworms, they should be appropriately treated before starting on Sentinel Spectrum.
What to do if overdose?
Contact your closest emergency animal hospital.
How can I store Sentinel Spectrum?
Store dry at room temperature: 59°-77°F (15-25°C).
Sentinel Spectrum can be used in conjunction with Capstar in order to effectively prevent flea eggs from hatching and to kill adult fleas. Refer to the Supplemental Package Insert, which is included with Sentinel Spectrum, for more information regarding the combined use of these two medications.